Navigation

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Backlash and First Part

I checked the X-axis backlash.  From my measurements I am getting .002 on the X-axis.  I have set this value in Mach3 for backlash compensation.  I;m quite impressed how accurate Mach3 compensates for the slop.  Below is a photo of my backlash testing setup.



I continued to tram the mill and made my first part.  Boy was it awful.  I threw it away. But I've learned many lessons in that short hour of mistakes.  The piece was supposed to be a mount for my X-axis limit and home switch.  It turns out it will not meet my needs.  Having the limit switch mounted horizontal proved to hinder the movement of the trigger arm in both direction because it hit the table.  I was able to turn the trigger arm around to face the back of the switch by loosening the four top screws.  By mounting the switch vertical I was able to achieve my goal of having one switch for both limits of X-axis travel.


I now have homing capability on the X-axis. Tomorrow I will tackle creating a mount for the Z-axis home.  Y will be the most difficult, i'm not looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment